Sunday, February 4, 2007

My bio

Here is my paddling bio.

This was originally posted RiverJunkies (www.riverjunkies.net).

Like most people I started paddling with my dad when I was about 8 years old. We used to go fishing together. I grew up as a military brat moving from base to base. My favourite base of all was Petawawa, Ontario. We lived there three times. Our house on our last posting there was actually at the top of the sandy hill leading down to Lovers rapid. I grew up swimming every day in the Petawawa River at Lovers and the Catwalk. You really get a feel for white water having no fear. My dad can remember when he actually caught me swimming in Lovers. I have always been an excellent swimmer and trust me it has come in handy lots on the Ottawa.

I really started WW paddling in tandem open boats around 1998 with the Barrie club (www.bckc.ca). I did a few trips to the Ottawa River with the club but it was difficult to find the time when raising a family. The best thing I ever did to get in more paddling time was to get my son into WW Kayaking through a White Water Ontario course at the Gull River. I did the same intro course at the Gull the year before. I also did a WW kayaking course with MKC in 2005. My son was really was hooked after doing a three day course with Liquid Skills. I have Tyler and Ryan to thank for that. And since then it has been full on paddling. My son made get a WW Kayak back in 2003. He kept getting embarrassed when I would run my 1976 fiberglass Scott Tripper (http://scottcanoe.com) down the middle channel of the Ottawa River with the exception of Mckoys, Garvins, and Lower No Name. I tried it for a few years and gave it up in 2006 after spending five months in physiotherapy after hurting my shoulder by running into rock at the Gull. A MRI in Feb 2006 showed that I needed surgery but I was told by a surgeon in Aug 2006 that I did not need it.

The last part of 2005 and beginning of 2006 was a difficult year for me due to marital separation. It was a hard thing to go through after being with someone for 19 years. On the upside, it gave me lots of time during summer of 2006 trying various solo open boats at the Ottawa River. I finally found the new love of my life in late august. She is a 14 foot Esquif Virtige X (www.esquif.com). I fell in love with her after I successfully punched through Phil’s Hole twice at McCoy’s on the Ottawa River. This is really significant as I never ever ran McCoy’s in anything but a raft and I was paddling from the stern position of a tandem setup by myself. I kept getting asked if I lost my bow person in the river somewhere. I managed to paddle both channels of the Ottawa River over a four day period and only swam once at Left-Side Horseshoe, once at Centre Horseshoe, and once at The Normans. I bought her as a tandem boat from Mark Scriver and had Brian Shields from Mike Yee Outfitting (mikeyeeoutfitting.com/) convert her to a solo boat. I have been solo WW OC1 paddling ever since. All my paddling friends say I look way more comfortable open boating than kayaking. I also still love to flat water paddle my Scott Tripper.

I currently have the following paddling certifications ORCA MW 1 Tandem, ORCA Tripping 2, Whitewater Rescue Technician WRT1

Favourite Spot to Paddle:

The Ottawa River is my favourite River to paddle. It is both challenging and scenic.

I have only paddled the Gatineau River twice and it comes in as a close second.

I hope to paddle more rivers as time goes on.

Favourite Gear:

Both my Virtige X and Scott Tripper.