Monday, August 13, 2007

Ottawa River

Well here goes another trip report and it is a long one.

Thursday 09-Aug-2007:

I met Chelsea a couple weeks ago at the Ottawa from Geoff Boyd’s McMaster White Water Club course. We have kept in touch and she expressed a great interest in coming paddling with us this weekend at the Ottawa. The only problem she had was no boat and doesn’t have a car. No problem … Colin to the rescue. I was on my way back from St Kits and had some shopping to do at MEC. I picked her up Thursday afternoon in downtown Toronto and it was off to my place for the evening. Chelsea fit perfectly into my Liquid Logic Hoss. After a few float tests in the pool we had the trim in the boat set up right. She attempted a few rolls but it wasn’t quite happening yet. A short while later my day and step-mom stopped by with some extra furniture from Grandmas place. They knew I would be donating some of it to other but it was better to recycle it than landfill. After that is was pre-pack the car for our road trip.

Friday 10-Aug-2007:

Our first and second stops of the day were in Bancroft at the LCBO to pick up party drinks for us and Tim Horton’s to pickup some Tim Bits for the MKC staff as that is basically the closest one to them. We stopped of to donate some furniture such as end tables, drawers, etc. The staff basically live on roofed platforms with walls made of tarps, etc. They are very creative at making furniture out of milk crates and are always seeking donations. So if you have any old lawns chairs, small tables, etc that you want to get rid of … drop them off and they will be recycled and put to good use. We ended up having a lovely lunch with the MKC staff and they were glad we dropped of the Tim Bits.

After that we headed off to River Run to setup camp. We had to pick a spot and save some space for the others that were coming up Saturday morning.

We ended up spending about three hours playing at Push Button. It was really hard for me to get on in my open boat this time as the water was really boily on the eddy line. I helped Chelsea out with her roll. She finally managed to get. After that it was a late night dinner at the Irving truck stop in Pembroke. I checked my email and found out that Greg was coming up for a day of paddling on Saturday and would meet us at the putin around 1pm.

Saturday 11-Aug-2007: Water Level: -1.25

The plan was for Neil, AnnaLisa, and Angela to show up around 1pm or so. But as we all know plans changed. They actually showed up around midnightish and started setting up camp beside us without realizing we were actually in the same spot. I got up to talk to Neil to figure out the new game plan before going back to sleep which was kind of hard as the raccoons were just annoying the hell out of the rafters that left food out. It was actually quite entertaining to listening to all the screams.

Neil and I were up first. We figured out a plan and he had to run it by the boss for approval. Angela and AnnaLisa decide to stay behind for the morning and paddle at the beach front. This would be Angela’s first time paddling a kayak in moving water. Chelsea, Neil, and I decided to do a quick run down the main channel starting at Grab with the plan of being back to meet Greg at the putin for 1pm.

We loaded up the boats and headed off. Chelsea and Neil had never paddled the main before. Well not exactly true. Chelsea had paddled it lots in a raft at various levels during her six week course at Esprit but never in a kayak. We put on the water and headed over to scout the Lorne. The rafts were there making there runs. I ran down through Garb first. I caught the top right of the wave and ended up doing a neat hip flick action with the boat to bring it around to the back side of the wave before heading down the rest through Waikiki and paddling into shore to check on Chelsea. I saw Martin from Shaggy Designs on my way up to the top. He was quite impressed with my run through Garb. I watched Neil make his run through Garb clean and he pulled in behind Moby Dick. He was quite surprised at the how fast and steep it was. I told him to stay there for extra safety. I went up to see Chelsea and gave her three options … walk it … run it … or paddle over the island on river left and walk it to put in at the eddy by Moby Dick. She decided to run it. I gave Neil the sign that Chelsea was going to run it and ran back down to my boat for extra safety. She started her run fine but ended up swimming. I managed to grab her paddle and saw the boat was being followed by Tanya MacGregor and her paddling group of ladies. I got her boat back from the ladies and towed it back to shore.

After a quick empty and a few more roll practices we headed off through Push Button and Butchers Knife. We got out to scout on river left. I told both of them do NOT swim on river right if your out of your boat. Neil went first and ended upside down after going through part of the hole. He did three attempts at rolling his boat before he realized he was head to the sharp rocks and then decided to swim. I went next by going left of the hole and Chelsea made a clean run by going left as well. Neil was quite surprised at how strong the hole was.

After that it was a quick paddle to the top of the Normans. We were pressed for time as I did not want to leave Greg hanging around the putin too long. We did a quick scout before heading off. Neil went first through the big stuff. I caught the first eddy on the right and waited for Chelsea. She managed to make the eddy fine. We continued our journey only for Chelsea to end up out of her boat in the boils. After a quick rescue and boat empty Chelsea decide to walk Coliseum. I told Neil to take the line on the left and we ran it without scouting. It was now just after 12:30. I told Neil that I would paddle to the takeout by myself to meet Greg and gave him the lines for the remaining set of rapids. I ripped down the rest of the river and left my boat at the beach. AnnaLisa gave me a ride to get my car and I went up to the putin. Greg was sitting in a very relaxed position on the back of his vehicle. I can’t even remember if I said hi or not. It turned out he got there at noon. We locked his boat to the closet tree and head to RiverRun to get the others. Neil and Chelsea were just getting there and I had been back at least 30 minutes. After a quick lunch of veggies, dip, and whatever and not it was time to get this party started.

We ended up putting on around 2ish. We headed off to scout McKoys. I was not sure about running it this time as I am booked and paid in full for GatFest and did not want to miss it by getting hurt. Chelsea and Angela opted to walk. Neil and AnnaLisa ended up taking the sneak on the left and I think AnnaLisa swam. Greg did the thread the needle but ended up out of his boat on river left. I was still sitting on the fence post. I had been staring at the tongue on Phil’s for 20 minutes now and still wasn’t sure. I walked back up to my boat and started heading down river and still wasn’t sure of where I was going. Well let’s just say I made my quickest and most driest run ever through the tongue on Phil’s. I had less than an inch of water in my boat. Hartley if your reading this I once again proven you wrong. I eddied in just below corner wave. After that I punched through rightside Horsehoe and headed over to BabyFace where I managed to get only one half-a$$ side surf going.

Greg had the best move for styling it of the day. He was coming down from river left and ended up coming towards leftside Horseshoe. All I heard from one of the raft guides was holy $h1t as Greg was just at the top heading towards the hole. He managed to do a couple of quick moves and ended up making it. There was a lot of cheering going on when he was starting to get sucked back into the hole but kept paddling. I would have been trashed for sure if it was me.

We decided to scout all the rapids on this trip as we had some newcomers and the water level was lower than what the others had ever paddled it.

Everyone basically made it through Iron Ring fine. Angela ended getting knocked over in the boils but she did very well considering first time paddling white water. We spent a while playing at S-Bend hole. Everyone was having lots of fun surfing, tanning, and swimming as it was really hot out. Butterfly was a blast.

But the most interesting and fun spot of the day was hanging out at Elevator Shaft. Neil realized that you could sit under the water flowing over it. Everyone was taking turns and I took some great shots of the group. It was definitely a refreshing cool down.

Upper NoName was fun. Neil and I decide to raft up and see how far we could get. We managed to catch the last eddy on river right before the hole. I believe everyone made it through fine. Events kind of get blurred late at the end of the day.

I ran Lower NoName without scouting it. I ran down the center tongue and moved over to catch the river right tongue. I made it clean which means I ran both channels in one day clean without swimming which is a record for me. The only time I swam was playing on some of the features after I ran them first. Neil made his run clean. Chelsea somehow managed to win the award for taking the most river left line I have ever saw in my life but she did it with style. Not bad for a rafting chick who decided to take up kayaking (mental note get her into open boating). Angela and AnnaLisa decided to walk around and put in below the nasty stuff before running the rest of it.

After that it was down Black Velvet and off to the take out. Neil decided to try and make me swim out of my boat before getting to the corner at the takeout. It was quite hilarious as my boat is really stable and he has very little body weight. I ended up beating on his helmet and hands trying to get him off my boat (the rafters watching this were kind of shocked). It wasn’t until Greg helped that I ended up going over. Lets just say I emptied my boat and started chasing Greg. I almost caught up to him by narrowing a 100 foot gap before he beat me to shore.

It was 7pm by the time we got off the river. I was getting concerned as I did not want to cook in the dark as it was my turn to cook for the group. We had a fabulous dinner of chickpea and raisins in curry sauce on basmati rice with fresh chilled pineapple chunks for desert. There was also a variety of party beverages being consumed. The highlight of dinner for me was when Valeri Popov tracked us down at our campsite and gave me a box of four ice cream cones. He had read on BoatWerks that we were going to be there and had a tough choice to make. Go and paddle the Gatineau or come to the Ottawa and pay off his debt (I guess he was feeling guilty). I told him a few months ago after sending him a DVD with pics on it in the mail that he owed me an ice cream cone. Well let’s just say he is paid in full.

After dinner and cleanup we headed down to the fire fore more drinks. It was nice to see Geoff, Jess, and Randell again. I was making my own coolers of Presidents Choice lemon pop, vodka, and ice in a nalgene bottle (a lot cheaper than buying the real ones). Let’s just say I was feeling ok. I went up and crashed around midnight. I am not sure what time the others went to bed but I am sure it was quite late.

Sunday 12-Aug-2007: Water Level: -1.25

I woke up at 4:30 am. I could not sleep anymore as my shoulder was bugging me. I think it was from trying to catch up to Greg the day before. Greg got up and started packing up his stuff as he had to head back home. I sat in a lawn chair with my blankie and watch the sun come up. It was beautiful. Neil finally got out of bed at 7am. I was hoping to be on the water early but no chance of that. I started cooking breakfast. Veggie omelletes and ham steaks. Yum. Angela and AnnaLisa finally got up. I finally had to go kick Chelsea out of her tent. After breakfast and many discussions we finally got to the river around 10:30. Bryan and Denis decided to join our group.

We decided to put in at Little Picky and avoid running McKoys as nobody really felt up to it. After that we just headed down to Iron Ring and then onto S-Bend for some sweet play time. This was probably my best day for front, side, and back surfing. I managed to do a 360 flat spin. It took a lot but I got it done. Bryan and Denis decided to take my girlfriend out for a spin. I don’t know what it is but people are really attracted to her. It must be the blue eyes, fine lines, and the boob job she had back in the spring. Neil hopped into a kayak for a few rides before swimming. I don’t know what possessed me but I hopped into my old kayak and got a half-a$$ front surf on the first try and swam on the second try. I know remember why I went back to open boating.

Butterfly was kind of a blur as I was tired. I had a clean run down as did Neil. AnnaLisa surprised us both as she nailed the top river right eddy with ease. I gave it a couple of tries but ended up swimming every time. After I went and passed out on a rock for twenty minutes as I was wiped. All I know is there were a crap load of extra pictures on my camera of various runs on leftside and rightside butterfly.

After that is was off to Elevator Shaft for a refreshing showers and snacks. We were hoping to have lunch back at the campground but it was late. Bryan and Denis shared their bagels with the group. I shared the granola bar I had in my PFD. As some group shot pictures it was off to Upper NoName.

I bombed down through LowerName taking the same line as the day before. Denis ended up swimming and I picked up the floating gear. Bryan made his run as was closely followed by Angela who made it all the way down through all the big stuff like a trooper. Chelsea and AnnaLisa took their same lines as the day before.

I was getting tired and just bombed down to the takeout. I just wanted to get my car and pack up and go home as I still had a long drive ahead of me. I was quite happy with my three runs down the river with no swims (swimming while playing does not count).

I filled up in Cobden at 5:15 and was home by 9:15. Not bad considering we had one stop for ice cream in QuadVille and one potty break. Chelsea and I offloaded the car real quick. Boats went into the back yard and everything else into the basement dungeon. She grabbed the shower first while I got the laundry sorted out. Holy crap talk about stinky paddling gear. I grabbed a quick shower and then it was a late dinner of re-heated left over Chinese from our Thursday night dinner. After that it was watching the first Harry Potter movie while offloading pictures from the memory cards. I finally crashed just before 11. I was totally wiped.

Monday 13-Aug-2007:

All I can say is holy crap as 4:30AM came quick. It was hard to get moving. I packed up my crap for work and told the princess it was time to get up as she still had to re-pack her stuff complete with clean clothes before my car pool buddy came at 5:30. After that it was hugs goodbye as we dropped her off at the subway near my work. Chelsea says she wants to come out with us more so at least we have another person to add to the group. She will most likely come out paddling with us more than Derek does (poke … jab … inside joke).

Here are some of the selected pictures