Thursday, June 4, 2009

Palmer Rapids and Lower Mad Trip

I managed to get out paddling last weekend 30-31 May.

Spent the saturday paddling around Jessups and the Lower Set for the day. The weather was actually nice for a change. There were about 100 Scouts on the river taking courses. I paddled with my friend Keith Watson who finally decided to show up before lunch time but at least he made it.

Sunday was an interesting day on the Lower Mad. We ended up paddling in rain -> sleet -> snow -> and then sun at the end of the day.

The level was not that great for playing at Hass Hole in an open boat but fun for running the river. Keith and I met up with another couple after the Scouts decided to cancel their trip due to the crappy weather.

The best run of the day had to be at Split Rock. Keith and I spent about 10 minutes looking at the channel running through split rock. The right channel there was boney but the left channel was doable if you were able to make the line as the moves were tight. I never hit one rock and ended up in the eddy as planned.

My other best run of the day was at Raquette. Normally you would have to go to the left of the island but there was enough water to run the right hand side. The only problem would be to figure out where to run the river wide drop. Keith scouted the right hand side and said no go.

My line was from right to left and then over the six foot drop. I had to do a few braces and sweeps to keep from going over and getting sucked back into the hole but made. I was full of water but I made it.

Keith saw me disappear and decided to take the far left line which was kind of boney with no drop on it.

All in all it was a great weekend for paddling.