Friday, May 28, 2010

Kipawa River

The last couple of weekends have been quite eventful.

I drove up to North Bay two weekends ago to go paddling with friends on the Kipawa River near Laniel, Quebec. It was definitely a full day on the river. We were on by 11ish and and off by 7ish.

I had never paddled the river before. It was a nice hot sunny day with a low flow of 17 on the gauge but I did not care. Drysuits were definitely in order for the water was cold and the blackflies we in full swing.

I had two minor out of boat experiences ... one at the beginning of the day on Rock and Roll and the other and the end of the day at Hollywood. The river is absolutely gorgeous. The only downside to the whole day was the two mandatory portages. One around Grand Chute and the other around Pete's Dragon. I would have been better off throwing my boat in the river and watch it hopefully make the run nice and clean versus the Class VIII portage. They were both brutal. Luckily I had from the other in the group.

I would like to go back and paddle the river at rally levels of 120 but we will see if that time ever comes.