Saturday, April 21, 2007

Lower Head - BCKC - Solo MW 1 Open Canoe Course

21-Apr-2007

Water Level: 8.32 on Washago Black gauge

Today the Barrie Canoe and Kayak Club was running a Solo MW 1 Canoe course. I volunteered my services as a safety boater and photographer.

Today was the hottest day I have paddled this season. It reached a high of 22. Normally I get to paddle in rain, snow, and absolutely no sunshine.

The river was definitely low but fun. I had fun practicing ferrying, surfing, and catching eddies.

We started on the river around 09:30 and spent the morning up at Stone Wall rapids. We paddled down to the bottom of the second chute which is after Husky Rapids. We carried back up to Timmy Who’s for lunch on the grass.

The course consisted of John (instructor) and Helen and Ross as the students.

During lunch I met two boater chicks (Kelly and Luky) from Peterborough. They were wondering about the river and I gave them the virtual tour on from my laptop. After lunch we did a shuttle and offered the girls a ride as well.

Our group departed ways from the boater chicks as they headed up river in their OC1’s.

We had fun running the river practicing catching what we could on the way down.

Everyone agreed they had a great day. Everyone stopped in at Timmy Who's on the way out to buy goodies and gifts.

I never had so many people stop and either talk to me on the side of the road or leave stuff for me to pick up. Friends of mine left two computers for me to fix. Gary left me a WO poster to take to worlds. I talked Greg from our Salmon trip as he was on his way to the Gull to paddle with Neil. One of my friends driving a transport truck stopped and talked to me and to top it all of my sister and her husband tried to run me off the road. I noticed that Greg’s vehicle was at the takeout at the end of the day. I guess he and Neil decided to do the Lower Head as well.

I will leave the pictures up for a couple of weeks.

Click for Pictures