Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Canadian Team Trials

I decided to head over to Chambly, Quebec to watch / take pcitures of the competitors for the Canadian Freestyle Paddling team for the 2009 worlds.


I figured it was time for another roadtrip to a place I had never been.


I left right from work on friday afternoon. The plan was to head over to Ottawa friday night and stay with my friend Jim. The would be a double duty trip as I had to deliver some boats and gear that I was storing to another friend in Ottawa.


I was going to just head straight across the 401 and up the 416 but that soon changed after I heard the crappy traffic report. I decided to take the Plan B route across the 407 to 7 and go all the way to Ottawa that way instead. I made the trip in five hours which was pretty good considering I stopped a couple of times on the way.


I headed straight to Jim's place. We caught up on life issues and he showed me a little bit about using iPhoto on a MAC. We ended up going out for a late night bite and then I crashed as it had been a long day since I was up at my regular 04:30 time.


I left around 6am saturday morning and made it to Chambly around 08:30. It was great to see old friends and catch up. I met a couple of new people from the BC Boys and others from Quebec that I had only taken pictures of but never talked inperson.


I managed to carve out a pretty sweet vantage point for taking pictures. I had the river bank as a backrest and my blue pad for my butt. I had to move a couple of heavy rocks out of the way but it was worth it in the end run. I took well over 2400 frames that days but ended up with 2254 after the deletions. I was really disappointed that I some how forgot my polarizing filter and had a hell of a time re-adjust for the sunlight bouncing off the wave.

I spent from around 09:30 am until 7:30pm taking pictures. It was a long day in the sun. I managed to get a few breaks in between the heats to chat with the other people around. The competition was fun to watch. It was great to see the upcoming juniors as alot of them have great potential as they continue their training.


Everyone headed over to the Marius for dinner. I started to offload the pics from my camera onto my laptop and it didn't take long for the people to start looking over my shoulder. I spent the rest of the time during dinner catching up with friends on life.

I left Chambly around 10pm and headed back west. I grabbed a room in Cornwall just after midnight. I finally go home just after 1pm and spent the rest of the day relaxing and gettting the pictures organized for uploading to my Flickr site.

Here are the pictures from that day http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmnypny/sets/72157604646157228/