Saturday, April 11, 2009

Life's been busy

I can't believe it has been over a month since I posted in my blog.

So much for keeping up with the detail so here is the Coles Notes version instead.

12-Mar-2009

I did make the trip down to Ain't Louie Fest in TN for Spring Break. The plan was to just drive straight down to Lenoir City, TN and then get ready for a week of boating.

We all know that life is subject to being quite dynamic. After staying at somes friends place in WV, I ended up taking a slight into North Carolina to go boating with some new friends on section 9 of the French Broad. It was a nice run to shake off the cob webs of not being in my boat for four months.

After that we all headed over to TN to get ready for the festivities which unfortunately for me included five days of rain. I am not complaining as it is needed for paddling but sucks when your sleeping in a tent for the week.

It was great to see old friends and meet a whole lot more. Gabe won the award for the furthest drive. He came 2500 miles with his dog to pick up a new boat and have some fun.

I had some excellent boating on Clear Creek (Jett to Lilly), the Little (Sinks to Elbow), Middle Fork of the Little Pieogeon, and Tellico (Below Jarods Knee to Turkey Creek).

Both my body and boat took a beating as I kept pushing myself to the the next level. But my boat did end up losing on the Telico when I end up punching in the front of my boat when Tony decided to go sideways and block the run on the river. Ehhh ... crap happens.

I had originally only planned on paddling up until wednesday and was going to take the thursday off before heading south to Alabama for NAWFest. But enough was enough ... i really need to dry out my gear after all the rain.

18-Mar-2009

I woke up up the wednesday morning and decided to take another day. My friends asked my what I was going to do. I told them I decided to go watch me a sunset in the Gulf of Mexico. I packed up my stuff and drove 8.5 hours to watch the most beautiful sunset to date that I have ever seen on a spit in Pensicola, FL.

After that I grabbed a room for the night to relax, have a nice hot shower, and sleep in a really comfy bed. I sepnt the next morning doing laundry and re-packing my car for the next phase of the trip in Alabama.

I ended up staying with some friends thursday night in Taledaga, AL. I met Joseph and Arlene two summers ago when we were on a white water canoe course together. Dinner was great as was sleeping in a nice comfy bed :).

20-Mar-2009

I left early on the friday morning to head up to the paddling festival a few hours away. It would be day one which included the huckfest off the falls followed by the boater cross. The huckfest was great but the boater cross did not even get started as the local sheriff kicked us off the property due to a supposed land dispute with someone who was claiming to be the land owner but was not. Imagine a couple hundred people being forced to leave all at once standing along the side of a road waiting to get a ride to the parking lot. Not My idea of fun.

After that fiasco Dooley, Memree, and I went for a late lunch in town before I headed off to the main festival site to setup my tent. At least it was hot, sunny, and zero forecast of rain. What more could you ask for as a premise for a kick ass pre-party.

Lots of people were playing in the rodeo hole during dinner. I unfortunately had to re-patch the hole in my boat from TN. Thank god for two part expoxy sticks from Home Depot. Forty minutes later I was in the eddy lineup where i spent over an hour trying to side surf my boat right to the gunnel line and always swimming. But the water was warm and I was paddling in shorts. Well at least I thought it was BALMY but the US boaters thought it was cold .... lol.

Soon it was dark and the pre-party had started.

The plan for staurday was to take photos of the rodeo in the morning and go paddling with Arlene, Joseph, and gang on the saturday afternoon. We ended up running a section of the Warrior Locust Fork. It was a gorgeous day. I kept running non-tradional lines down all the runs and had a blast. We parted ways. My plan was to go back to the campground for the main party and awards ceremony and then head over to Andy and Lynn's place.

The party was great. I was really happy I made the trip to AL. I met lots of new friends and hope to make it back the the festival next year. I said my goodbye and made it to Andys just before midnight and the funny thing was they were just finishing dinner.

22-Mar-2009

We had an early breakfast and then headed out for another day of fun in the sun paddling on the Mulberry river. I was a nice day to wind down before my impending two day roadtrip back to Canada. I spent the night at Arlene and Josephs.

I got up early monday morning and was gone by 4am (Central). I managaed to drive 1120KM in 12.5 hours to my friends place near Lost Creek, WV followed by the an easier 8.5 hour drive home the next day. At least I managed to score a couple of 60 ouncers of Barcardis at the duty free.

I sepnt the wednesday basically doing laundry and catching up on sleep before having to go back to work on thursday.

All in all it was a great time, saw old friends, met new ones, experienced great southern hospitalitys at its best. Would i do it again ... yeppers.