Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Utah

Saturday March 27th, 2010

I made the drive over to Zion National Park. I must say yes … the Grand Canyon when viewed from above has the holy crap what a nice view feeling when you first look at it but Zion is way better. After getting a camping spot I hiked around for the afternoon shoot photos of the amazing rocks and shadows.

This place is totally worth seeing and spending a few days at.

Sunday March 28th, 2010

I actually managed to sleep in until 9am. I guess life on the road finally caught up to me. But I think it is probably due to all the fresh air and the higher altitude. I must say it takes a lot more out of you hiking around here then it does back home. I spent the rest of the morning shooting photos on the east side of the mountain tunnel before making the roadtrip out to Bryce Canyon.

I was in shock when I finally arrived. There was still about four to five feet of snow all over the place. I stopped at the visitor center and then headed right up to the end of the road as far as it would go at an elevation of just over 9000 feet.

I slowly worked my way back down shooting photos at all the view points. I came across a German family from New Mexico that had a top radiator hose that was leaking. It took me a few minutes to find my metal duct tape that was somewhere in my car. I took off the radiator hose and taped it up. They refilled the radiator with water and they were good to go to make it to the closest town to get a new hose.

After that it was back to shooting photos which lasted a whole two minutes. My circular polarizing filter decided to come off my camera lense and roll down about 200 feet down the steep cliff bank before it most likely fell the other 1000 feet to the bottom somewhere. I was not going to get it back.

I now had to change my plans. Instead of heading to the Moab area I decided to head up to Salt Lake City area and drop off a boat to my friend Jeff. This would give me time to buy another filter and get an oil change for my car as it was due for one. This also unfortunately meant that I would not have enough time to head up to Montana to visit another friend of mine as I would have to backtrack over to Moab to finish off my photo trip.

I made the 4.5 hour trip up to Jeff’s place. The drive up through highway 15 was beautiful. This would be the first time I actually met Jeff in person. We knew each other from CBoats.net and he found out I was heading out west and asked me if I could shuttle a boat from TN to his place as it was on my way. He was happy to get his new toy.

Monday 29th March, 2010

Today would be a lazy day. I managed to buy a new filter, oil changed on the car, and re-attached my thwart on my boat (thanks to Jeff).

Jeff and I headed off to a local play spot ten minutes from his place named Riverdale Wave. It is a cool spot to play at. The water was a bit low but you could still get some surfs in. We were there for about an hour before heading over to another play spot. Jeff continued to paddle there while I took photos of him and an old abandoned building that was beside the river.

After that we headed over to one of the local creek runs. It was low an runable in a plastic boat but not my barge. As we walked along the river Jeff explained all the features and dangers of the river. It was a really cool section of river complete with an outdoor shooting range beside it.

Soon it was time for dinner and watching of some video clips of the local play spots at higher water.

I was wiped and was in bed by 9pm.