Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ottawa Valley - Gatineau River - Gull Open Canoe Slalom Race

This will be a short blurb.

I managed to get out with some friends and do a run down the Main Channel of the Ottawa River a couple weekends back followed by a fun day on the Gatineau River. Our group of four did not see any other paddlers on the Gatineau that day. It was nice to have it all to ourselves.

I spent last weekend at the Gull Open Canoe Slalom race. It was the 30th year for the event. I ran the river from below the dam. I was happy with my run in the top section as this was the second time I had ever ran it in my life and had less water in my boat.

I spent the rest of the time trying to shoot photos of the race plus partaking in the evening festivities. My camera still has a scratch in the sensor but seems tobe ok in busy background shots. I can no longer do any sunrise, sunset, or sky shots. I am still trying to figure out what to do with the camera as it is a 1000 dollar repair or buy a new camera or wear it out and hope to get a new one under warranty. Only time will tell.

I did one one race run out of my two on the sunday. I did not do any practice runs on the course. I came third last which is way better then my previous year of being last. I even managed to make it though all the gates but I did get 120 seconds in time penalties for touching gates. I was probably the second last person to go down and had a big cheering squad on the side of the river. I was quite happy with my run considering I am moving a 85 pound 14 foot boat around and the other racers are in boats thay probably weigh have as much as mine.

I am spending the next two days getting ready for the next item on the PRO circuit which happens to be Gauleyfest. I hope to get my first ever Upper Yough run in on friday and then the standard Lower Gauley saturday follwed be the New River Gorge sunday.

This will be my last paddling trip to the USA for this year.