Monday, November 17, 2008

Elora Gorge at 40cms

I went and paddled the Elora Gorge last last saturday with friends.

It was a whopping 40 cms which is way more the the maybe 10 cms I have paddled it in the past.

The river looked so totally different. It was fast moving and huge waves / holes.

It was a wet dreary freezing cold day. I actually had to wear my gloves and that says alot.

We only had one major swimmer during the day. We had a kayaker out of their boiat above the chutes. I ended up having to run the right hand line down the chute to try and catch up to the boat. I punched the first two holes fine and ended up getting pushed over by the last one and swimming with my boat to shore. I ended up banging my knee (which end up being pretty swollen that night) on a rock during my swim.

We did get the kayak back so that was a good thing.

The scenery on the river was amazing when we came up to this huge waterfall coming off the side of the gorge wall. I wish I had my regular camera with me but the weather was to crappy to take pictures anyway.

Everyone made it to the take out safe and sound.

I am glad I made the trip as it gave me and idea of what the Gorge was like in high water but without the ice and snow. I have determined that my cutoff point for running the Gorge will be around 50 cms.

Until next time be safe out there.