Monday, November 10, 2008

Trip to the city of Ottawa to paddle the Pumphouse and potluck dinner




I spent last weekend doing a roadtrip to the city of Ottawa with my friend Mark.

My goals were to paddle the Pumphouse slalom course and attend the CDB paddling club annual meeting and potluck dinner. Mark was along for the ride to go visit his brother.

We left Mark's place just after 6am on saturday morning and made it to Ottawa just after 12:30ish. This was a pretty good time as we only made three stops, Tims in Bancroft, Foymount for shopping, and the Antrim truck stop for brunch. We managed to briefly run into my dad and step-mom as they just finished having breakfast there. It was a what the hell are you doing here moment as it was totally random and unplanned.

I dropped Mark off at some intersection and headed over to the Pumphouse for some paddling fun. I had never been there before and was really impressed with the facility. It is a great slalom course in the downtown area of Ottawa. Some of the members of the Canadian Olympic Team were there training. I also ran into some of the Junior teamt that I know. I met up with Christian, Paul, and Stephen. We managed to get a couple hour of paddling in and then we headed over to a local pub for a drink before parting ways.

I headed over to MEC before going to Julia's house for the party. The meeting was great and so was the dinner. Here are some pictures from that night http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmnypny/sets/72157608985076314/

I ended up getting voted in as Member at Large which is someone who promotes the club while out and about. The CDB website is http://www.cdb-ottawa.com/

Kelly from the club presented me with a plaqued version of a picture of me running ST-Chute on the Ottawa River. He said is was their way of giving something back to me for sharing all the pictures I take of others.





This is the original picture:


After the party I headed over to Marks brothers place before making the uneventful trip home on sunday.