Thursday, September 20, 2007

2007 Gull River Open Canoe Slalom Race

08/09 Sep-2007

I would like to thank Mark Scriver and his family for organizing this years race.

The same goes to all the sponsors and volunteers that contribute each year.

I headed up there early friday morning. We had the course set up in about two hours with all the people that showed up to help.

One of my goals this year was to actually enter and compete in the race and actually reach the finish line. I decided to enter in the Mens Solo on sunday.

I did a few practice runs on friday and saturday.

I took lots of pictures saturday afternoon and sunday morning.

I spoke to Scott MacGregor from RapidMedia and he asked me to submit what I thought was my best 25 shots. I will be spending the next week or so going through my pictures.

After that, I will try and make all the pictures I took less the 25 available online. I will post a link up on BW once I have them all uploaded. I will make the other 25 available after I here back from RapidMedia.

I came dead last in Mens Solo class. I was the only one in the tandem boat solo wearing a pirate costume class and still came last.

My first run wasn't too bad. I only missed two gates and had nine touch penalties (190 second in total) for a combined time of just over eight minutes. I missed catching the eddy at gate four and had to work my a$$ off to get back up but I did it. I was very happy with that and the rest of my run.

My second run was definitely entertaining to say the least. I ended up swimming at gate three. I have had lots of practice with self rescue and swimming with my boat. As soon as I came up for air I yelled out "don't touch my boat". I emptied it out and got back in it.

I missed the eddy for gate five and caught the river right one instead and paddled back up the side and ferried over to the middle eddy below it. I squeezed my big a$$ boat through it but I had a touch penalty.

I screwed up by trying to get gate eight and did a mystery move. I swam with my boat into the eddy of gate nine and emptied it out. I was totally exhausted by this point by carrying on. I ferried over to gate ten and made it through with another touch. I think I managed gate eleven ok.

I missed twelve and almost caught the eddy behind the pinning rock from the right side. I was hoping to get thirteen by paddling up to it and sliding backwords but I was just too far down to get back up there.

I went onto the next gate ok but missed the one on river right after the otter slide. I was totally wiped and just carried on to the last two gates to the finish line. My time after 320 seconds in penalties was almost twelve minutes.

Did I have fun ... yes ... will I be back next year ... yep ... will I actually train for the race ... who knows!

It was really nice to actually talk to the other competitors that I have only taken pictures of in the past and get to know them better.

On a personal note, this will be my last TR and paddling day for a while. I have some personal health issues I need to get looked at and will not be paddling until I get cleared to do so. I managed to get 55 days in on the river this year which is great for me considering I do not work in the paddle industry.

Soon I will be going on a 22 day photograpy road trip out west starting by flying into/back from Calgary. I will post up some pictures when I get back.

My personal goals for next year are:

1. try to better my race time and come second last.

2. try and reach my goal of getting 90 days of paddling in.

3. be able to surf Garberator on the Ottawa, River in my boat.