Friday, September 28, 2007

2007 Vacation - Day 07

Day 07 – 27-Sep-2007

I left my cousins place a 6am in order to catch the ferry to the Sunshine Coast. The ride over was nice. I managed to take a couple of pictures as it was foggy and overcast for most of it.

I had breakfast at Molly’s Reach in Gibson. It was pretty cool to actually see this place as I grew up watching the Beachcombers in the 70’s and 80’s.

I headed up to Egmont. I could not find some of the Ontario paddlers that were going to be there. I did the 4km hike wearing my Crocs into the Skookumchuk tidal rapids. I managed to see the whirlpools, etc for the outflowing tide just before noon.

I hung out in the woods for the rest of the day as the other rapid that the paddlers use would not be in until 5:29pm for incoming tide. I spent the afternoon taking pictures of the rainforest and marine life and having a nap under my umbrella as it was raining. By this point I had less than 9 hours sleep in the last 58.

The Skook wave started coming in around 4ish slowly building to its peak. I managed to take some pictures of two paddlers from Colorado as the Ontario paddlers were not around. The pictures were not exactly great quality as it was crappy weather but at least I got some.

I did the 4km hike out and decided to head back to Vancouver as I hand time to make the last Ferry. I managed to get to my other cousins place around 10:30ish. I finally crashed after midnight. I woke up an hour later with my hand still on the mouse as I was waiting for the pictures to upload.

I will be in Vancouver for a few days and then off to the Revelstoke, Glacier, Yoho, Banff - Jasper parks for the rest of my journey.

Link to some pictures