Friday, September 28, 2007

2007 Vacation - Day 12

Day 08 28-Sep-2007 – Day 11 01-Oct-2007

I spent most of my time at my cousin Prescott’s place with his family. I played mister fixit around the house fixing things that were out of Prescott’s area of expertise. Well not exactly on one of the jobs as he is a plumber by trade … I ended up taking a hairball the size of my fist out of his daughters bathtub as the water was draining out very slow. Linda has invited me back next year at the same time. She said she will start making a list and will pay my flight out. We will see about that.

I also had dinner with my aunt, uncle, and cousin from my moms side of the family. I found out from my aunt and uncle that I had relatives in Revelstoke, BC.

I can’t believe how much is has rained over the last few days. At least 50mm of rain a day. I hate the rain and even worse I hate driving in it.

I ended up staying in Maple Ridge one extra day due to the crappy weather in the area I was going.

Day 12 – 02-Oct-2007

I left Maple Ridge at 04:30am and headed east. I was hoping to get at least to Revelstoke by 4pm. I had to make a 180km detour in order to see my last remaining living grandmother in Princeton, BC. I spent a couple of hours visiting and continued my journey.

I stopped in Kamloops at the Costco for lunch. I have been to at least five different ones since I have started my vacation. Addiction is a good thing?!

I stopped to see the Last Spike. This was the last spike of the railway linking the east to the west.

I managed to make it to Revelstoke around 4:30ish. My mom was born here and I thought it would be nice to check the place out. It is a nice little town. I went up to the dam and took a couple of pictures. This is the smaller dam. The larger Mica dam was another 175km up the road but I was not going there.

I found the house my Aunt Shirley lived at. She supposedly held me when I was a baby. It felt kind of strange knocking on someone’s doors and asking if they were home or not. She thought I was a salesman until I explained who I was. I actually got invited in the door without even having to show ID. She filled me in on her family and I filled here in on what was going on with mine. Go figure it turns out we are all dysfunctional. She also lives at the corner of the street named after my mothers side of the family. She invited me out to dinner with her daughter Debbie.

After dinner I continued my journey eastward. I managed to get to Glacier National Park. I decided to grab a room at the Best Western at the bottom of the glacier. It is also just west of Rogers Pass. I hope to get some nice pictures in the morning.

Link to some pictures