Monday, October 8, 2007

2007 Vacation - Day 15

Day 15 – 05-Oct-2007

I got up at 6:30am and it was frickin cold. It had snowed that night and the car windows were frosted up. I had to let the car run for a bit to warm it up while I packed up my tent and sleeping gear. I wanted to be at the base of the ice field for sunrise pictures. I was out there for almost two hours freezing my a$$ off. I let the camera sit in the cold for abit before I started to use it. I decided to you a tripod and my electronic remote this time as I would have most likely been shaking too much to take the pictures. The camera was doing some really weird things. Some of the pictures had kind of a purple tinge to them which kind of looked neat for a special effect.

I only had a 100km of driving to do today as I was only going as far as the town of Jasper but I knew it would take me the whole day to do it by the time I got to the campground.

I managed to get some nice reflection shots at Beauty Creek. The water was smooth as glass. I stopped at the picnic area at Sunwapta Falls and hauled out the stove to make breakfast. At least it was warmer here due to the lower elevation. I did get a few funny looks from some of the other people but I didn’t care as I was hungry. I managed to get a few nice shots of the falls.

Next stop would be the Athabasca Falls. I spent about an hour here walking up and down the trails taking pictures. Afterwards I took some more pictures of the Athabasca river in various places on my way towards Jasper.

I remembered from a previous trip that Horseshoe lake was a nice spot to stop at. I did the short hike in an managed to take some half decent reflection shots. The water had a nice blue colour to it.

I finally reached the town of Jasper at 2pm but I still had other places to see before going to the campground. The weather was great as it was sunny and warm relative to where I had been. I was walking around in just my tee-shirt and crocs where others were in fleece and hiking boots.

I headed off to the Maligne river canyon route. The canyon itself was a really cool place as it starts out really narrow at the top and supper wide at the bottom. I spent almost two hours hiking around the trails in my crocs but did not have any problems at all.

I stopped at Medicine Lake for a bit to take some pictures and decided to come back near sunset on the way back to take some more. Shortly after I seen this RV pulled over. There were people on the rode trying to take pictures of this red fox on the run. I put on my zoom lense and put the window down. I did a drive by shoot pictures with two hands and drive with the knees and managed to get great pictures of the fox while he was running. I drove a bit further up the road and got out of the car. I managed to get some shots of him as he was coming towards me.

I made it to Maligne Lake. It was almost 5pm. I hauled out the stove and started cooking dinner. While dinner was on simmer I headed over to the lake and took some pictures. After dinner I managed to take some pictures of moose and deer.

I headed back to Medicine Lake to take more pictures during sunset. I managed to take some pictures of Elk near the town of Jasper before heading to the campground.

I set up the tent and had a quick shower before heading back to town for a movie night. I saw the Kingdom as I am a Jennifer Garner fan. I went to bed around midnight but at least it was warm out.

Link to pictures

Pictures part 01

Pictures part 02