Sunday, October 7, 2007

2007 Vacation - Day 13

I finally found a internet connection so here is another report.

Day 13 – 03-Oct-2007

I slept in until about 8ish. I guess I must have been tired from all the driving I have done the day before. O looked out the window and all I saw was two bus loads of Japanese tourists taking pictures of the snow. I finally got my but moving around 9:30ish as I had a long day ahead of me and many pictures to take in Glacier National Park.

I drove back to the west side of the park and started working my way back taking pictures of the various spots. I managed to get some great shots at the Hemlock Grove, Rock Garden Trail (lots of neat vegetation), and the Loop Back Trestles (old abandoned railway trestles).

I spent some time taking pictures of the trains. Man they are long ones out here. I fount the Mount MacDonald Tunnel entrance and took some pictures there but no trains were going through it at the time. I am sure I was probably trespassing but I don’t remember seeing any signs.

I finally made my way back to the Rogers Pass Summit. It was very pretty with all the snow that fell the night before.

I started heading eastward on my journey to Yoho National Park. I wanted to be in the town of Field before sunset. The drive through the Columbia valley just west of Golden was beautiful. I stopped for a quick bite to eat and gas in Golden before heading onward.

I managed to make it to Field in time. I headed up to Emerald Lake and the Natural Bridge to take pictures before the daylight was gone. I did a bone head move and lost my pair of sunglasses somewhere at the bridge. I went back but they were no where to be found. I am sure one of the Japanese tourists from the two buses that pulled in just as I was leaving has them. That would be the first pair I have lost this summer plus the three that I broke. Crap happens.

I headed off to the campground. I met a couple from Switzerland. We were the only two groups of people camping there that night. It turned out the camping was free as it was now a winter camping zone. Saving money is good. The only downside was there was no water but I had lots with me. I keep refilling my two litre pop bottle every chance I get.

I started a fire in the wood stove during dinner. The other couple were going to San Francisco via Calgary as they had a friend to pickup. They were not sure of which way to go to the USA. I showed them different options with my map program on my laptop.

After that it was an early night in bed.

Here are some links to pictures

Pictures part 01

Pictures part 02

Pictures part 03

Pictures part 04

Pictures part 05

Pictures part 06