Sunday, October 14, 2007

2007 Vacation - Day 19 through 23

Day 19 - 09-Oct-2007

I hooked up the DVD player and VCR to the kids computer downstairs. Rachel and Alex were now happy that they could finally watch movies.

I spent some time fixing Michelle’s computer as it had some big time problems. We spent some time shopping at Costco just in time for the hotdog lunch special. I spent some time and showed Michelle how to transfer their pictures off of her digital camera. I also showed her how to back up their file onto the external hard disk drive we picked up at Costco.

Michelle and Rachel started out making peanut butter cookies buts as normal the mom got left holding up the rest of the backing duties.

Calvin and I went out shopping at Staples for a network based multi-function printer. I ended up setting it up and configuring the other two computers to use it.

Day 20 - 10-Oct-2007

I spent some time in the morning going over stuff with Calvin about the new printer. He also asked me if I wanted to come back in the new year and help them get other stuff sorted out with the house. He apparently has a lot of Aeroplan miles to use up.

I left around 2pm and started heading to my friend Mike’s in Leduc. Its been at least six years since I seen him last. After dinner he asked me what I wanted to do. He asked me if I wanted to go blow crap up and I said sure. We headed off to the shooting range with two rifles (M1 Carbine and a 22 pump action that was 90 years old) and two handguns (45 and 357). Its been at least twelve years since I fired a weapon of any type. Mike and I used to be on the shooting team when we were in cadets together. I have not lost my touch. I managed to get six inch groupings at seven yards with both handguns and eight inch groupings at 45 yards. I probably had an eight inch grouping at 45 yards with both rifles.

After a couple of hours it was time to get going. Mike said that I could get my firearms license the next time I came out.

We got back to the house around 9pm and I crashed early at 10pm.

Pictures from the shooting range

Day 21 – 11-Oct-2007

I spent a few minutes looking at one of Mike’s computers. It was running real slow. I cleaned it up a bit and started running a scan for spyware and other stuff. I showed Deb what she had to do after the scan was done. I left just after breakfast as Mike was going to work.

I headed over to see a friend I met earlier back in June. I stop to see Aaron at the seminary. He was in between classes. He gave me the grand tour.

After that I headed over to the West Edmonton Mall. I despise shopping and the mall really had nothing I would be interested in shopping in. I went in to take pictures of the ice rink, ship, and wave pool. After that I headed over to MEC to buy another duffle bag and headlight.

I stopped at the Northgate Shopping Center and had dim sum lunch at this really good Chinese place. It was nice to eat lunch and check emails at the same time. They offered free wireless internet to their customers.

I then headed over to my cousin Tamara place. I walked in through the garage entrance. I startled her friend that was talking on the phone. Tamara came down and gave me my hug. Tamara and the boys had a light dinner as Reg was not home until after 6pm and he would most likely want to go out for Chinese food as Tam is not fond of it.

Riley asked me if I could figure out how to put pictures and music on his cell phone and mp3 player. Tam asked me if I could look at their computer (this would make number six on this trip). I managed to get everything figured out before Reg came home. He walked in the door and asked me if I could figure out getting music on his cell phone. I told him it was all done and that Riley would show him later.

Reg, Riley, and I went out to Smiley’s for dinner. After that it was watching survivor night and discovery channel. They others went to bed around 10pm and finally went sometime after 11.

Day 22 – 12-Oct-2007

I left Tamara place just after the kids left for school. I made a stop in Red Deer to see Kathie. It was kind of strange as I had not seen here in at least 22 years when we were in cadets together. We caught up on life. I would have like to have gone seen her sister Vicki but she lived in Medicine Hat which was out of the way for this trip.

I headed off to Calgary to see Marieke and Anke. I looked around the mall for a bit as they would not be home until 5pm. I phoned my friend Mark back home to see if he would pick me up at the airport but it turns out that he was at the airport flying to Montreal to see the hockey game.

The girls finally made it home. I offloaded all the extra food, rubber maid containers, and cooler that I had from camping. They were quite happy with the donation. We met some of their friends for a birthday dinner at Jamiesons. I treated the girls out to dinner as they have let me stayed at their place for two nights now. We rented the move 1408 which was kind of bizarre to watch and after that it was bed time.

Day 23 – 13-Oct-2007

This would be the last day of my vacation out west. I said goodbye to the girls and got my hug. I told them I hope to see them again in January if things go right. I headed off to the airport to return the car and catch my flight.

I finally got home just before 9pm.