Wednesday, October 10, 2007

2007 Vacation - Day 18

Day 18 – 08-Oct-2007

I spent the morning with Michelle’s family. I ended up spending three hours fixing their computer and getting their digital camera working with the computer as well. This would make four computers I have fixed for my relatives on this trip. The computer is going to get a memory upgrade tomorrow. I will also most likely end up configuring the new network printer they plan on buying.

After Lunch I headed over to see Adam and Angie and give them the hi-res versions of the car fire pictures I took a few days ago.

I then decided to spend some time see where I used to live as a military brat from July 1975 through July 1977. I was there for grades 5 and 6. It turns out that Canada Lands had sold off most of the old property where the military housing used to be. They moved all of the military personnel and equipment and created a super base further north in Namao.

I had to drive up and over a dirt road to get on the road where I used to live. I am pretty sure we were the second driveway from the end of the street but my dad thinks we where the third. All the houses on our street and others were gone. Only the driveways were left.

The garages across the street were gone. I remember one time when I used to get bullied around all the time by this kid from school. I was out delivering the papers on my route when he came by and kicked me as he was driving by on his bike. My dad saw what happened and told me to take a stand. I ended up beating the crap out of this kid who was way bigger than me and I think I ended up pushing his head through one of the small square panels in the garage doors. I never got bugged at that school again. I do remember I had the same problem in grade 10 where I ended up beating the crap out of the biggest bully in the school in gym class. I never took gym after that day which led to me down my path onto becoming a computer geek

I walked through some of the other housing that was boarded up. I was quite surprised to see my old school still intact. They boarded up a lot of the windows on it. I spent some time talking to a lady across the street from the school. She told me it was still in use but not many kids were enrolled there but this could change as the new residential housing gets built.

After my trip down memory lane I head back to Michelle’s for thanksgiving dinner.

Link to pictures