Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Alabama Country Side

We were hoping to go to the Space Museum and a really good BBQ place today but we found out that everything we could possibly want to do today was closed.

The weather was cool out. I thought it was balmy but the others said it was frickin freezing.

So we spent the day with Shorty showing us around the area. His family has about 650 acres of land with cows all over the place.

We went to check out where his brother and parents were going to build their new houses on this huge river.

The highlight of the day had to be when we saw this baby calf that had just been born. I was taking pictures around this old barn when Shorty noticed the calf. We had to keep our distance as the momma was keeping a good eye on us. At some point on of the guys said you better move. The all laughed when the saw me running like a bat out of hell. They didn’t think I could run that fast.

We stopped for a quick bite to eat at Subway. My bone head statement for the day had to be when I said “I didn’t know we were going on a roadtrip” when I told them I didn’t have any money. Everyone laughed considering that we were on a roadtrip that started two days ago. I then tried to explain that I thought we were only going to the river and not all over the county.

We saw this old concrete dome that had the top blown off it. It used to be some kind of granary.

We also saw a computer recycling center as well.

We had a great new years eve dinner at Shorty’s mom and dads place. Roast pork with all the fixings and peach cobbler for dessert. As Matt put it … it was nice to finally have something to eat without having to take the wrapper off it.

We headed back to the Shorty’s as they wanted to watch the rest of the football game. I watched it for a bit before passing out in the other room as I haven’t had a lot of sleep in the last couple of days.

Link to pictures